OFFICIAL GAME RULES
Last Updated: May 31, 2013
Important: Please read these Official Game Rules ("Game Rules") carefully. These Game Rules apply to your participation in any contest on www.creatorrepublic.com, www.creatorrepublicnetwork.com and any website and online or mobile application, feature or service (collectively, "Site") of King of the Web, Inc. and our subsidiaries and affiliated companies ("King of the Web," "we" or "us")..
By participating in a contest (each, a "Game"), you agree to be bound by these Game Rules and represent that you satisfy all of the eligibility requirements in paragraph 1 below.
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN A GAME.
1. Eligibility. PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE ODDS OF WINNING. GAME VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. GAME OPEN ONLY TO INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE AT LEAST THIRTEEN (13) YEARS OF AGE. RESIDENTS OF CUBA, IRAN, MYANMAR, NORTH KOREA, SUDAN AND SYRIA ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE. GAME IS VOID IN THOSE COUNTRIES AND WHEREVER OTHERWISE RESTRICTED BY LAW. IF YOU DO NOT MEET ANY OF THESE REQUIREMENTS, OR ANY OTHER ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS IN THESE OFFICIAL GAME RULES, YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO WIN A PRIZE, AND KING OF THE WEB, INC. ("King of the Web") RESERVES THE RIGHT NOT TO AWARD PRIZES TO YOU. If you are under the legal age of majority under applicable law (a "Minor"), you may only participate in a Game under the supervision of a parent or legal guardian who agrees to be bound by these Official Game Rules. By submitting an entry or otherwise participating in a Game, you represent and warrant that your parent or legal guardian is supervising your participation in a Game and has agreed to be bound by these Official Game Rules. As a part of a Game, Candidates (as defined below) are required to compete in either the King of the Web Election (a "King of the Web Candidate") or a Themed Election (a "Themed Election Candidate") (the King of the Web and Themed Elections are each described in Section 4). If you choose to compete in a Themed Election, in order to be eligible to win a prize, you must compete in the Themed Election that best fits your Campaign Content, or, alternatively you must create Campaign Content that best fits your chosen Themed Election. Bottom line: be consistent. King of the Web reserves the right to change your Themed Election to a different Themed Election if it believes, in its sole discretion, that your Campaign Content does not fit the Themed Election selected. To be eligible to win a prize, your online player registration form and your Campaign Content (defined below) must be completed and received by King of the Web in the format designated below and comply with King of the Web Game Conduct and Content Guidelines ("Content Guidelines"). Directors, officers and employees of King of the Web, any participating sponsors, and any of their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, agents, professional advisors, agencies, and immediate families of each are not eligible to win any prizes. All applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. You may vote using only one account. The reigning King or Queen of the Web and King or Queen of a Themed Election (hereinafter referred to as "King)," is not allowed to win any King of the Web and Themed Election Cycle (as defined below) for at least two (2) two-week election cycles, one (1) one-month of election cycles, or any combination thereof that results in an equivalent period following his or her coronation.
2. Disclaimer. King of the Web, Facebook, Inc., all participating sponsors and any of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, and each of their respective directors, officers, professional advisors, employees and agencies will not be responsible for: (a) any late, lost, misrouted, garbled or distorted or damaged transmissions or entries; (b) telephone, electronic, hardware, software, network, Internet, or other computer- or communications-related malfunctions or failures; (c) any Game disruptions, injuries, losses or damages caused by events beyond the control of King of the Web; or (d) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Game.
3. Election Cycle. Each Game runs for an election cycle (each, an "Election Cycle"). The applicable Election Cycle begins and ends on the dates and times set forth on the “Prizes” page. Click here for information about the current Election Cycle. All entries must be received during the applicable Election Cycle to be eligible to win a prize for that Election Cycle.
(a) The Candidate who is elected King in the King of the Web Election (“King of the Web Election”) will receive the King of the Web prize. The first and second runners-up in the King of the Web Election will also receive prizes. Click here for information about the prizes for the current King of the Web Election.
(b) The King of each Themed Election (e.g. Music King Themed Election, Vlog & Film King Themed Election, Gaming King Themed Election, Beauty & Style King Themed Election, or other themed elections) (each, a "Themed Election") will receive a Themed Election prize. Click here for information about the prizes for the current Themed Elections.
For the avoidance of doubt, a Candidate can win a King of the Web Election prize, or a Themed Election prize, but not both. A disqualified Candidate cannot be considered a winner of any prize. Cash prizes are in U.S. Dollars.
From time to time King of the Web will enter into promotional arrangements with third parties that may involve such third parties offering prizes to the King of the Web or King of a Themed Election. These prizes are the sole responsibility of the third party and King of the Web shall have no responsibility for any claims arising from or relating to the acceptance or use of the prizes. In addition, there may be additional terms and conditions associated with Games under these promotional arrangements. In that event, we will provide you any such additional terms and conditions associated with the Game prior to you agreeing to participate in that Game.
5. Odds; Taxes; Etc. The odds of winning a prize depend on the number and quality of eligible Candidates. ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL TAXES ASSOCIATED WITH THE RECEIPT OR USE OF ANY PRIZES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNERS. All prizes will be awarded. Prizes returned as undeliverable or otherwise not claimed within thirty (30) days after delivery of notification will be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner. Prizes are not transferable. No substitutions or exchanges of any prizes will be permitted.
6. Identity of Candidate. In the event of a dispute about the identity of a Candidate, the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the registered credentials for the Facebook account that is used when registering through Facebook Connect or the email address submitted at the time the Candidate registered on creatorrepublic.com, will be considered the Candidate. An authorized account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned to a Facebook ID and/or an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization (e.g. business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. The potential winning Candidate may be required to provide King of the Web with proof that the potential winner is the authorized account holder of the Facebook ID and/or e-mail address associated with the Candidate.
7. How to Enter. To enter and become a candidate for a prize ("Candidate"), visit the Site, register using your Facebook credentials and choose to "Campaign". As a part of a Game, Candidates are required to compete in either the King of the Web Election or a Themed Election. For a Game, Candidates may create and upload a posters, slogans, pitches, YouTube videos, blog posts, essays, comments, stories, articles, photographs, artwork or other materials or content explaining why a Candidate should be voted King of the Web or King of a Themed Election ("Campaign Content"). You may continue to update your own Campaign Content throughout the Election Cycle. All required registration information must be provided for your entry in a Game to be valid. Some Candidates may have been paid to participate in a Game.
8. Game Judging. On or before the winner selection date, judges comprised of registered users of the Site [("Users")] will evaluate Candidates' Campaign Content and vote for the Candidate whose Campaign Content best fits the following criteria:
- The most apt, creative, and interesting Campaign Content;
- The most compelling reasoning that the Candidate should be elected King of the Web, or King of a Themed Election, as expressed in the Campaign Content;
- Demonstrated creativity in formulating and expressing a campaign message.
Any registered user may vote. If a registered user vote for a Candidate that is competing in the King of the Web Election, the registered user's vote will only be used to judge that Candidate against all other King of the Web Candidates. Alternatively, if a registered user votes for a Candidate that is competing in a Themed Election, the registered user's vote will only be used to judge that candidate against all other Candidates who are competing in that same Themed Election. Voting registered users will determine the winners. In the unlikely event of a tie in the King of the Web Election, the tied Candidates will share the King of the Web Prize equally and be dubbed "co-King." Tied Candidates in the Themed Elections will each receive the Themed Election prize. To claim a prize, winners should follow the instructions contained in their notification.
9. License. You retain all ownership of and copyright in any of your own Campaign Content. You (and, if you are a Minor, your parent or legal guardian) hereby grant King of the Web and its affiliates a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, nonexclusive, license to publish, reproduce, display, perform, distribute, adapt, edit, modify, translate, create derivative works based upon, and otherwise use and sublicense your Campaign Content throughout the world in any form or media. You also grant King of the Web and its affiliates and sublicensees the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any of your own Campaign Content, to the extent that it is made publicly available on the Site or through the Services. Without limiting the foregoing, this license grant includes the right to (a) make editorial revisions; (b) use and publish your Campaign Content in any manner and form, including electronic, on the Site, Services or in other media, whether now or hereafter created; (c) use your Campaign Content for internal business purposes; (d) reproduce and distribute your Campaign Content for marketing and publicity purposes and (e) sublicense your Campaign Content to third parties for any reason. You (and, if you are a Minor, your parent or legal guardian) agree to take, at King of the Web's expense, any further action (including, without limitation, execution of affidavits and other documents) reasonably requested by King of the Web to effect, perfect or confirm King of the Web's license rights as set forth in these Official Game Rules.
11. No Facebook Endorsement. The Game is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook. You understand that by participating, you are providing your information to King of the Web, not to Facebook. You understand that by using and interacting with www.facebook.com, you are subject to the terms, conditions, and policies that govern the use of www.facebook.com. You should therefore review the applicable terms and policies for www.facebook.com, including privacy and data gathering practices, before using or interacting with Facebook.
12. General Release. By entering a Game, you (and, if you are a Minor, your parent or legal guardian) release King of the Web, Facebook, any participating sponsor, and its parent companies, subsidiaries and affiliates, and each of their directors, officers, employees, agents, professional advisors and agencies (collectively, the "Released Parties") from any liability whatsoever, and waive any and all causes of action, related to any claims, costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the Game or delivery, misdelivery, acceptance, possession, use of or inability to use any prize (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light, whether intentional or unintentional), whether under a theory of contract, tort (including negligence), warranty or other theory.
IF YOU ARE A MINOR, YOUR PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN FURTHER AGREES TO INDEMNIFY EACH OF THE RELEASED PARTIES FROM ANY CLAIMS, COSTS, INJURIES, LOSSES OR DAMAGES DESCRIBED IN THE PRECEDING PARAGRAPH WHICH MAY BE SUFFERED BY YOU.
13. Use of Winner's Name, Likeness, etc. Except where prohibited by law, entry into a Game constitutes permission to use each winner's name, address, likeness and/or prize information, without limitation, for promotional, marketing and advertising purposes without further permission or compensation. As a condition of being awarded any prize, except where prohibited by law, winners (and if winner is a Minor, winner's parent or legal guardian) may be required to execute an additional written consent to the use of their name, address, likeness and/or prize information, without limitation, for promotional, marketing and advertising purposes without further permission or compensation.
14. Conditions for Receipt of Prize. As a condition of being awarded any prize, winners (and if winner is a Minor, winner's parent or legal guardian) will be required to execute and deliver to King of the Web a signed Affidavit of Eligibility and acceptance of these Official Game Rules and liability release. As part of winning a King of the Web Election or Themed Election, the winner will, in good faith, complete the following during their reigning time as King of the Web or King of a Themed Election (as applicable): (a) participate in the filming of a Q&A for King of the Web (the video will be posted on the winner's channel and creatorrepublic.com) and (b) make at least two (2) tweets or mentions in videos encouraging people to vote on King of the Web contests (e.g., "You did it for me, now help another by voting daily!").
15. Winners List; Rules Request. For a copy of the winners list, send a stamped, self-addressed, business-size envelope within one (1) year after the end of the Election Cycle to King of the Web at the address listed below, Attn: King of the Web, Inc. Game Winners List, and specify the Election Cycle. To obtain a copy of these Official Game Rules send a stamped, self-addressed business-size envelope to King of the Web at the address listed below, Attn: King of the Web, Inc. Official Game Rules Request and specify the Election Cycle. Residents of VT may omit return postage.
16. Copyright Notice. Each Game and all accompanying materials are copyright © 2012 by King of the Web, Inc. All rights reserved.
17. Miscellaneous. Each Game and these Official Game Rules will be governed, construed and interpreted under the laws of the State of Washington. You agree that any action at law or in equity arising out of or relating to these Official Game Rules shall be filed only in the state and federal courts located in King County, Washington and you hereby irrevocably and unconditionally consent and submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of such courts over any suit, action or proceeding arising out of these Official Game Rules. Each Player agrees to be bound by these Official Game Rules and by the decisions of King of the Web, which are final and binding in all respects. King of the Web reserves the right to change these Official Game Rules at any time, in its sole discretion, and to suspend or cancel the Game or any Player's participation in the Game should viruses, bugs, unauthorized human intervention or other causes beyond King of the Web's control affect the administration, security or proper play of the Game or King of the Web otherwise becomes (as determined in its sole discretion) incapable of running the Game as planned. Players who violate these Official Game Rules, tamper with the operation of a Game or engage in any conduct that is detrimental or unfair to King of the Web, a Game or any other Player (in each case as determined in King of the Web's sole discretion), or otherwise attempt to rig the election, are subject to disqualification from entry into a Game. King of the Web reserves the right to lock out persons whose eligibility is in question or who have been disqualified or are otherwise ineligible to enter a Game. If you have any questions about these Official Game Rules or a Game, please e-mail them to email@example.com or send written questions to King of the Web, Inc. at the address listed below, Attn: King of the Web, Inc. Game Questions and specify the Election Cycle.
18. Sponsor. The sponsor of the Game is King of the Web, Inc., 915 E Pine St. #300 Seattle, WA 98122